Do you want to help Harbordale, our students, and our teachers? Consider volunteering with the HSA!
There are many, many opportunities to help with the HSA. No matter how much (or little!) time you can offer, we can use your help.
Want to volunteer, but aren’t sure what position or opportunity is right for you? Descriptions of both volunteer activity positions, as well as elected and appointed Leadership positions are listed below. Click a heading title to expand the full section.
Board Positions (Elected):
The positions below comprise the Executive Board. Officers attend monthly meetings (usually held on a weekday evening) for planning purposes. Anyone interested in serving in a Leadership Position may submit an Application for Leadership.
- President: Presides at all meetings of the association and executive board, shall be an ex-officio member of all committees except the nominating committee, shall represent the association, and shall perform all other related duties.
- Vice President of Fundraising: Coordinates the fundraising activities of HSA and chair meetings in the absence of the president. Upon request by the treasurer, the first vice president shall sign appropriate disbursements for the association.
- Vice President of Public Relations: Coordinates new student outreach, all parent-sponsored educational programs for students, chairs the yearbook, PR, and signage for each fundraiser.
- Vice President of Membership: Promotes membership drives, maintains membership list, and coordinates room parents for each classroom. Along with Volunteer Coordinator, in charge of Orientation Day.
- Secretary: Maintains the records of HSA, prepares and publishes minutes of the association and board meetings, and prepares correspondence. Acts as the liaison to the webmaster.
- Treasurer: Receives all funds of HSA and maintains an accurate record of receipts and expenditures. Disburses funds, prepares and presents monthly reports.
- Assistant Treasurer: Trains with the existing treasurer and eventually take over the position of treasurer.
- Parliamentarian: Ensures the By-Laws are updated after amendment changes, makes sure the board is following proper protocol for the organization.
The positions below are appointed by the HSA president.
- Hospitality Chairperson: Responsibilities include planning and coordinating Staff Welcome Back Breakfast (First day teachers and staff return in August), Coffee and Kleenex (First day of school), Holiday Staff Appreciation Luncheon (December), End of Year Staff Appreciation Luncheon (May), as well as ensuring there is coffee, creamers, sweeteners, and cups for the monthly HSA meetings.
- Garden Club Coordinator: Acts as liaison between the Fort Lauderdale Garden Club and Harbordale Administration for the 4th and 5th Grade planting project. Duties include contacting FLGC to help coordinate the planting project, and communicating with Harbordale administration regarding the class schedule for the planting.
- Meet the Masters Coordinator: Administers the art history program. Duties include recruiting presenters, organizing materials from website to distribute and coordinating with school administration and art teacher. There are five presentations per school year.
- Volunteer Coordinator: Helps recruit, organize and place volunteers. Coordinator works on recruiting and organizing at orientation, helping to staff HSA events and communicate volunteer opportunities within the school. Along with VP Membership, in charge of Orientation Day (Friday before school year begins).
- Adopt-A-Class Coordinator: Coordinates the process of matching donors with individual classrooms. The Coordinator writes letters of adoption to parents and business sponsors and ensures a smooth process for the teachers in spending and reimbursement of funds. Speaks publicly about program at Orientation and at other times if necessary.
- Webmaster: Updates and enhances the HSA website. Works closely with Secretary to keep website current.
The following are just some of the activities that are planned throughout the school year that we need help with. Additional opportunities become available as new events are announced – watch the HSA website home page, Facebook page, or Twitter page for announcements of additional volunteer opportunities.
- Fall Supersale: Sept. 6-23, 2016. Students sell inexpensive items (gift wrap, etc.) through a catalog. Volunteers required to assist in placing orders. After items are received, help is needed during the school day dividing products into groups for delivery to classrooms.
- Holiday Shop: Students shop for family and friends. Parent volunteers assist with purchase and wrapping. Sale runs throughout the school day for four days. The more volunteers the better!
- Garden Club: Ongoing activity. Butterfly garden needs light weeding and maintenance. Chairperson is in contact with Fort Lauderdale Garden Club and will help with two workshops and planting program with the 5th graders in January 2017. Great way to spend some time outdoors and learn about sub-tropical gardening! Timing is your own for the most part…
- General School Assistance: Ongoing activity. There will be height, weight, hearing and vision assessments for various grades at school. You may attend an off campus training session if you wish to perform these tests (contact Miss Rodriguez for information). If you wish to assist you may walk students to and from their classrooms. This activity can last almost all day. Help is needed this year in the clinic during school hours. Volunteer will take care of minor injuries and illnesses. Caring hands are needed to apply ice, band-aids and TLC. Give some MOM LOVE! Our Media Center also needs general organizational help: shelving books, files, etc.
- Room Parent: Ongoing activity. All the teachers appreciate this vital function: someone to get the word out when items are needed for the class (such as snack food, field trip help, class parties and special projects). This position should be a dedicated individual or perhaps two parents could share the task. Also coordinates class basket for Pumpkin Pizzazz, teacher appreciation gifts and class photos. The amount and type of assistance requested varies by teacher.
- Meet the Masters: Ongoing activity. Short version: Art History for kids. Broward County School Board provides five portfolios throughout the year with two paintings per grade level. Volunteers present paintings from two different famous artists and are asked to compare/contrast and encourage an art project inspired by the subject matter. Coordination of schedules required but total time in school approximately one hour per portfolio. Training provided in October.
- Yearbook: Ongoing activity. Help photograph, produce and sell the Harbordale Yearbook. New computer program will make this project FUN, FUN, FUN!
- T-Shirt Coordinator: Ongoing activity. Coordinate sale of Friday t-shirts. Possible project is design and printing of a stylish new adult t-shirt…
- Walk-a-Thon: Organize students as they walk a course through the parking lot to raise funds for school. Each grade is scheduled for a specific time and laps are completed until time runs out. Music and refreshments are an added bonus. VERY popular event with the kids.
- Career Day: Guidance Counselor Shelley Schoen coordinates this interesting day. Think about sharing your career, hobby or special interest. Presenters are usually asked to fill 30-minute intervals. The kids will LOVE YOU!
- Cookie Dough Sale: Managing catalog sale of a variety of sweet treats and items.
- Bingo Night: Spring evening event that is fun for the entire family. Volunteers needed to set up, sell Bingo cards and food, run event and clean up the cafeteria.
- Field Day: Coach Hardison will organize games and contests. Volunteers are needed to cheer, soothe crushed egos, comfort the injured and serve snowcones.
How to Volunteer
For Leadership Positions, please complete the Application for Leadership Positions for HSA form. To volunteer for a specific activity or to offer any special skill you have, contact LeAnn Pliske at email@example.com.